We will be hosting a special guest, Ben Gaydos who will be screening short films by Stan Brakhage and his own work in addition to giving a talk on hypnagogic vision and his own process of direct animation.
Ben Gaydos is a designer, filmmaker, artist and educator. He has filmed sadhus in Nepal and fisherman in India, worked as a designer in Germany and the UK, collaborated with blues musicians in Virginia and electronic artists in Detroit. His experiments in design, sound, film and video have been exhibited internationally. Ben has conducted research in design and anthropology at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he received his MFA in Visual Communication/Design. He is co-founder of goodgood, a Boston-based interdisciplinary design firm, and is currently teaching design at the Art Institute of Boston. See more of his work at goodgoodland.com and 3toed.com.
1. Jan Svankmajer – tma/svetlo/tma (Darkness/Light/Darkness), 1989, 7:31
2. Bjork’s Wanderlust, 2007,t 7:38
3. The Making of Wanderlust, 2007, 4:15
1. Michel Gondry – Walkie Talkie Man, 2004, 3:02
2. The Making of Walkie Talkie Man, 2004, 5:06
1. Stan Brakhage – Mothlight, 1963, 16mm, 3:14
2. Stan Brakhage – Dante Quartet, 1987, 35mm, 70mm, IMAX, 6:05
3. Stan Brakhage – Rage Net, 1988, 35mm, 0:52
4. Stan Brakhage – Black Ice, 1994, 16mm, 2:05
1. Ben Gaydos – Not Killing for Life, 2005, 16mm, 1:55
2. Ben Gaydos – Poïesis VII (redux), 2007-10, 8mm, 6:26
3. Ben Gaydos – Untitled, 2007-12, Super 8mm, 3:45